although we adore men individually, we all agree that as a group theyre rather stupid

"all the nights we stayed up talking. listening to 80's songs. and quoting lines from all those movies that we know. it still brings a smile to my face. i guess what it comes down to is that being grown up isn't half as fun as growin up. these are the best days of our lives. the only thing that matters is just following your heart..and eventually youll finally get it right.."
-ataris

I am ready to do a lot of things in life, and Im truly blessed for a lot of people in my life.

I am young, educated, articulate, blah bleah blah. In no nonsense terms, I am young enough to do anything I want to do but old enough to know I'll regret it in a few years (or hours). But nevetheless, I've always felt like I could do anything I put my mind to. Unless I couldnt. If that makes sense.

I thought I was ready for anything that life threw at me.

Ah, but no, not quite.

My dad turned a year older yesterday. Thank and Praise God.

As you grow up, its hard to imagine a world in which your parents are old and weak. Growing up, you believed they could conquer the world. You believed their kisses were enough to make your pain go away, and their mere prescence enough to make everything bad nonexistent. Until ithe day you do grow up, and the carers become the ones being cared for, and ones who used to cry in their parents arms become the ones comforting their parents.

I miss the days when I believed my parents were invincible.

Mainly because when I was younger, they were healthy and strong and radiant enough to be.

Age caught up on them.

It didnt happen all at once of course. The signs of aging never do.

It creeps up gradually on them and on the child. At first its just that you realise youre a bit taller than your mom, or somehow the same height or even taller than youre dad. You literally can see eye to eye.

The roles reverse and before you know it, the woman who used to give you cough syrup is the one youre trying to make take it, and the father who used to swing you around in play is the one who needs just a little bit extra help cllimbing that last stair. They dont really know the answers to everything anymore, and is it your imagination, or are their voices starting to sound desperately much much older than you last remembered...?

I blink and my parents look young again.

But I blink again, and no, theyre really not.

But thats all perfectly okay.

I am okay with a world in which my parents are older. Dont get me wrong. I love being able to help out, being able to buy them little things here and there, big things when I can etc etc. I lvoe being able to have grown up conversations with my dad and being treated like a baby by my mother. Its great, finally being able to be old enough to enjoy my parents and realise that when I was younger, they really did only do what they thought was best at the time.

So Im ready to take care of my parents.

What Im not ready for, what I'm just not equipped or prepared or willing to accept, what would in essence be the only thing that could break me at this point in time, is a world without them, for a world without my crazy wonderful out of this world mother and my wise articulate hilarious father.

I am ready for a lot of things.

But God willing, no, please, not that.

Not just yet.

I still have to give them grandchildren, in any case.

And you all know that won't be for a long time coming...=D

No comments: