you wear those shoes and I will wear that dress

You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.

-Breakfast at Tiffany's


While more a sampler of the variety than a regular partaker, I have no problem with alcohol, and used wisely (or unwisely so to speak), it can often lead the the funnest upon funnest upon funnest of nights (and even days, for the more party hearty).

However.

I abhor the fact that alcohol is used as a free ticket for people to be able to something they really want to do and not take responsibility for their actions.

Like the girl who really likes dancing/making out with guys in clubs but 'would never do that if sober' so is prudish as we enter a party/event/club/bar/pub but after one shot (come on, ONE shot!?) is off dancing with guys and then giving me looks of disgust at the guy she's dancing with but is OBVIOUSLY really enjoying herself. Then the next day proclaims about how drunk she was and she'd neveerrr do it if sober. *rolls eyes* Bitch, puh-lease.

Like the guy who when 'drunkened up' chooses then to tell me he is absolutely in love with me. Then denies it the next day to gauge my reaction, which is of course, amused and bemused, to see if I'll react and I know if I gave even an iota of a reaction, he'll break and tell me 'properly'. Sorry babe, I see right through you, and if you don't have the guts to carry it through and not use alcohol to protect yourself from my probable rejection, I will not lift a finger to make it any easier for you.

Alcohol lowers ones inhibitions. It does not give the drinker sudden new desires or newer levels of feelings, it just opens up the person to actually act on something he/she always wanted to do.

Own up to your inner desire to snog that guy! So the girl is deemed slutty, but without the added connotation that she is lying about her lack of sobriety in order to get with guys.

We have to own up and be responsible for most of, if not all, our actions.

Using alcohol as a protection blanket is a cheap out.

Using alcohol to toughen yourself up before an event is one thing, or to calm yourself down is another, but using it BEFORE something, merely to be able to use it as an excuse AFTER said event that "It only happened because I was drunk", I think thats pretty spineless.

But imagine if you just said, "yeah, i did it of my own accord. I risked it, and well, I got shot down/rejected/humiliated, but it was worth a risk."

Ah, to be said to be worth a risk, and not said to be worth a drunken mistake the next day!.

No comments: