So, I like to fantasize/ And watch the sunrise like it's a big surprise

“They say men are children, but sometimes children are men. Maybe that’s where the confusion lies.” -The Wonder Years

I am so scared of this world sometimes.

Over the roar that is the hurricane-tsunami Paris, have you heard of Aaron Hall?

No?

Good. Because the press seem to want to keep it that way.

http://bookshop.livejournal.com/834653.html

...its grotesque. Human beings at their worst, and to think the news didnt get out for so long and his murderers using the ugly 'gay' word to justify their crime. And it goes deeper than that, take a minute to read the link. The man wasnt even gay to begin with! And even if he was, even if he was flaming INYOURFACE PRETTIER THAN A WOMAN gay, so bloody what?

For his attackers to feel angered that the people he chooses to sleep with is enough to make their crime 'okay' enough for them to use homosexuality panic as a defense? And to have this not reported till a good two months after?

Its horrifying to me, that in a world advocating freedom from every oppression, and from a land supposedly more civilized, things like this still happen! I am saddened and disheartened that the world we live in today devotes more time to Paris getting out of jail than to crimes like that.

Makes you wonder what other crimes we don't hear about, because I'm 120% certain that Aaron Hall is not alone.

On that note, Chris Benoit killed his child and wife and himself recently. I used to watch him on WWE.

Its just all so sad and I dont know quite what to feel right now and these make my world, the world I am inheriting from the past generation, the world I am giving my children, seem so full of pure hate and malevolence, who needs the your fictional movie and book villains?

How is it that when I was growing up, my world was not like this?

When I was growing up, faux celebrities were relegated to stories in the back of the paper, were not a daily fixture, do people even realise that Tony Blair has ended a decade of service and has been replaced by Gordon brown?

Maybe it comes hand in hand.

What do I mean? Maybe the reason these celebrities are getting the covers, the headlines, the buzz so to speak, is simply because of how scary the world is of late. If we could just pause and escape into a SIMPLE WORLD of entertainment escapism, maybe that is enough to distract us from the reality of the world's deterioration.

Maybe people want us to focus on the likes of Paris because its so much simpler to talk about her than to be faced with the reality of the Darfur, of the lives lost in politics in the Philippines and so on, in the War On Terror, of global warming and its consequences on you and me, of the ever growing gap between the rich and the poor, of child labour and you can name your own thing here.

Don't get me wrong. There is a beauty in the breakdown.

There are unnamed heroes and movements sweeping the globe everyday. Beyond the madness, there is still hope, and there is faith, and there is love. And while I know I am blessed beyond measure, goodness me, how can I not be saddened when I read of people like Aaron Hall.

You and I must not choose to remain apathetic. But I know 99% of us will, and focus on our hair, and our faces and our bodies, and on our 'loves' and our other everyday so called problems and issues, because lets face it.

It is much easier fixing a broken nail than a broken world.

Its times like these that I pray that much extra harder, and it is a shame that it took a murder to get me to do that.

No comments: